Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Romanticizing the Snow Day


I love the Pure Michigan commercials; you are probably familiar with the narrator's soothing voice, the pretty piano music, and breathtaking pictures. However, one of my favorite ad campaigns, took one of winter's best novelties, the snow day, a little too far. One of the most exaggerated lines in the ad is, "The first step into fresh powder is like stepping into a new world." This is just a little too excessive, it elevates the already great snow day into a supernatural experience. I love snow days, but they really can be inconvenient. I love snow days, but this ad fails to recognize the downside of them. The impossible and dangerous driving conditions, missing tests you studied for, cancelled sporting events... Snow days definitely aren't as perfect as they seem to be in the Pure Michigan advertisement. 

To watch this ads and all their other great ones visit: www.michigan.org and click on "View Our Ads" 

1 comment:

Mr. Lawler said...

Great example, Tori. I've frequently thought the same thing when hearing these commercials. Now their claims about great golf are true, but "Snow Day" -- I agree with you.